Russian-American historical and cultural heritage
Российско-американское историческое и культурное наследие

Елизаветинский форт, о. Кауаи, Гавайские острова.
Fort Elisabeth, Kauai, Hawaii

ЕЛИЗАВЕТИНСКИЙ ФОРТ
аванпост России на острове Кауаи (1816-1817)

Русские форты на одном из Гавайских островов – свидетельство русского влияния в Тихоокеанском регионе в конце XVIII − начале XIX века. К сегодняшнему дню сохранились лишь развалины форта, названного в честь императрицы Елизаветы Алексеевны.

В 1815 году на остров Кауаи прибыл врач и агент Русско-американской компании Георг Антон Шеффер. Он подписал соглашение с королем Каумулали об использовании острова как промежуточного порта для кораблей компании. После этого Шеффер приступил к постройке фортов. Полностью удалось завершить лишь строительство Елизаветинского форта.

Существование российского аванпоста оказалось недолгим − не прошло и года, как туземцы устроили бунт и убили одного из алеутских работников Шеффера. В 1820 году руководство Компании приняло решение отказаться от использования Гавайских островов в качестве торговой базы и морского порта, переориентировавшись на Форт Росс.

По имеющимся данным Елизаветинский форт был возведен из камня, что нехарактерно для других аванпостов Русско-американской Компании, которые строили из дерева.

Развалины Елизаветинского форта находятся на побережье залива Ваймеа, в историческом парке штата Гавайи. История форта изображена на четырех информационных плитах, расположенных на месте его прежнего существования.

FORT ELIZABETH,
the Russian outpost on Kauai island
(1816-1817)

The late 1700s and early 1800s were a time of huge cultural changes around the Pacific, from Australia to Alaska. The Russian-American Company was granted a trading monopoly in coastal Alaska, replacing the independent traders who had been operating in the Aleutian islands since 1745. These and other changes led to establishment of three Russian forts on the island of Kauai (Hawaii). The only physical evidence of the venture today are the ruins at the site of one of those forts − Fort Elizabeth, named after the Empress of Russia, Elizaveta Alexeievna.

The story begins with the role of Georg Anton Schaeffer, a German physician and agent of the Russian-American Company who arrived in Kauai in 1815. He negotiated with its king, Kaumualii, a favorable agreement with Russia and the Company. After that, Schaeffer supervised the constructions of the forts on Kauai.

Despite the rapid flowering of the Russian outpost, it was very short-lived − before the year was out, the natives had revolted, burning a distillery which had just been built, and killing one of the Aleut workers. By 1820, the Russian American Company had given up on Hawaii, and was obtaining supplies from Fort Ross, as well as American and British traders who were working along the Pacific Northwest coast.

What do we know about the construction of Fort Elizabeth? According to history, it was mostly built out of stone, which was atypical, since the other outposts of the Russian American Company were all built in “traditional” style, in wood.

At Waimea Bay, the remnants of Fort Elizabeth are preserved within a State of Hawaii historical park. Red dirt and earthen walls are the only remnants of the last known fortress that brought alliance between Hawaii and Russia back in 1817. Its history is summarized into four informational plaques located at the center where the fort once was.