Russian-American historical and cultural heritage
Российско-американское историческое и культурное наследие

Новоархангельск (Ситка) – столица Русской Америки
Novoarchangelsk (Sitha) – capital of Russian America
Ситка сегодня
Modern Sitha

НОВОАРХАНГЕЛЬСК
столица Русской Америки (1799)

В 1799 году Русско-американская компания построила форт Михайловск на острове Баранова (Александровский архипелаг) в юго-восточной части Аляски. Тогдашний глава компании Александр Баранов купил участок земли у племени тлингитов. Но в 1802 году тлингиты уничтожили форт. Пришлось основать новое поселение, которое вскоре стало городом и получило название – Новоархангельск (ныне – г. Ситка).

В 1804 году Новоархангельск становится штаб-квартирой Русско-американской компании.

К середине столетия Новоархангельск стал крупнейшим портом на северном побережье Тихого океана, принимавшим суда из многих стран. Основными экспортными товарами были меха для европейских и азиатских рынков, а также лосось, пиломатериалы и лед для продажи на Гавайях, в Мексике и Калифорнии.

Русская Православная Церковь способствовала созданию в Новоархангельске многонациональной общины, которая существует и по сей день. В 1848 году в городе был построен Собор Святого Михаила, который впоследствии стал резиденцией русского православного епископа Камчатки, Курильских, Алеутских островов и Аляски. Церковь сгорела в 1966 году, но вскоре была полностью восстановлена.

В 1859 году в Новоархангельске была открыта средняя школа российско-американских колоний с преподаванием английского и немецкого языков.

Новоархангельск стал американским городом Ситка, когда территориальная собственность России в Северной Америке была продана США (1867).

NOVOARCHANGELSK,
the capital city of Russian America (1799)

In 1799 the Russian-American Company constructed Fort Saint Michael (Mikhailovsk), in the Southeast of Alaska. Alexander Baranov, manager of the company at the time, bought the land from the Tlingit tribe. But in 1802, while Baranov was away, Tlingits attacked and destroyed Mikhailovsk. Baranov returned and was forced to build a new settlement − the city of New Archangel, or Novoarchangelsk (now – Sitka) on the ruins of Mikhailovsk.

Named after the Baranov's hometown of Arkhangelsk (which prior to the 20th century had been commonly known in English as "Archangel") it became the headquarters of the Russian-American Company in 1804.

During the mid-1800s, Novoarchangelsk was the major port on the north Pacific coast, with ships calling from many nations. Furs destined for European and Asian markets were the main export, but salmon, lumber, and ice were also exported to Hawaii, Mexico, and California.

Although the original impetus for colonizing Alaska was the fur trade, the Russian Orthodox Church had probably the greatest lasting impact on the people of Alaska, helping to create a multicultural Orthodox community that exists to this day. The Cathedral of St. Michael, which was built in Novoarchangelsk in 1848, became the seat of the Russian Orthodox Bishop of Kamchatka, the Kurile and Aleutian Islands, and Alaska. The original church burnt to the ground in 1966, but was restored to its original appearance.

The Common School of Russian-American colonies with English and German language classes were opened in Novoarchangelsk in 1859.

Novoarchangelsk became part of USA, when the Russian possessions in North America were sold to the America on the 30-th of October 1867.