Russian-American historical and cultural heritage
Российско-американское историческое и культурное наследие

Остров Кадьяк
Kodiak Island

РУССКОЕ ПОСЕЛЕНИЕ
на острове Кадьяк (1784)

Остров Кадьяк обнаружил русский торговец мехами Степан Глотов в 1753 г. Первое русское поселение появилось здесь в 1784 году, в заливе Трех святых − его основал купец и мореплаватель Григорий Шелихов.

В августе 1783 г. из Охотска отчалили три корабля, на борту которых наряду с Шелиховым, его женой и двумя детьми находились 192 моряка. Одно судно затонуло в море, а два других взяли курс сначала на юг от Охотского моря, а затем на север вдоль Курильских островов, пока не достигли Острова Беринга в Беринговом море. Экспедиция приняла решение перезимовать на острове. Наконец, в августе 1784 года корабли подошли к острову Кадьяк.

Спустя несколько дней после прибытия к кораблю приблизились алеуты. Шелихов так описал этот эпизод в своем журнале: «Я и мои люди дружелюбно поприветствовали их и в знак доброй воли предложили им в качестве даров стеклянные бусы, табак, и спицы, с которыми народ Кадьяка уже был знаком со времен первых контактов с российскими купцами, а также благодаря торговле со своими соседями».

В 1793 г. было решено перенести поселение в северную часть острова. Новый административный центр находился в Павловской гавани, на месте нынешнего города Кадьяк.

Нынешний Кадьяк − один из самых загруженных рыбных портов на Аляске, специализирующийся на ловле лосося и краба. Основная часть населения – алеуты и потомки русских поселенцев.

RUSSIAN SETTLEMENT
on Kodiak island (1784)

First to discover Kodiak Island in 1753 was Russian fur trader, Stephen Glotov. The first permanent Russian settlement there was established by another trader, Grigory Shelikhov, on Three Saints Bay in 1784.

According to notes made by Russian traders, three ships departed from Okhotsk carrying 192 men along with Shelikhov, his wife, and two children in August 1783. One ship was lost at sea, and the two other vessels sailed south out of the Sea of Okhotsk and then north along the Kurile Islands until they reached Bering Island in the Bering Sea. The expedition rested there for the winter. Finally, the two ships arrived at Kodiak Island in August of 1784.

During the first few days of the Russian presence in the bay of Kodiak, two Aleut men approached Shelikhov’s ship. He wrote that he and his men welcomed them "with signs of friendship" and, as a sign of good faith, offered them items such as glass beads, tobacco, and, perhaps, needles, with which the people of Kodiak would have been familiar either from earlier Russian arrivals, or through trade with their neighbors.

In 1793 the Russians decided to move the capital of their colony from Three Saints Bay to the northern part of Kodiak. They established a new center of government, which they named Pavlov Harbor, at the site of today's city of Kodiak. Pavlov Harbor's central position in the colonial empire lasted until 1808. A contingent of Russian Orthodox clergy arrived in Kodiak in 1794 to convert Alaskan Natives to Christianity. A lasting legacy of the Russian era is the Russian Orthodox religion.

Today, Kodiak is the busiest fishing port in the Gulf of Alaska, best known for its salmon and crab. The major parts of the population are members of the native Koniaga tribe, or descendants of Russian fur traders who appeared on the scene in the 18th century.